If you need to have your teeth straightened, your dentist in Portland, OR has probably talked to you about getting some type of braces or maybe even Invisalign dental aligners. However, before you can make any decisions, you’ll need to learn a bit more about dental aligners first.
What Are Invisalign Clear Dental Aligners?
Invisalign is one of the brand names of clear dental aligners. Many dentists prefer the Invisalign brand over brands of aligners. But exactly what are clear dental aligners? An Invisalign teeth straightening treatment is an alternative to traditional braces and can be used by kids and adults alike.
Invisalign dental aligners are clear plastic trays that fit over your teeth. They are different from traditional braces that use brackets and wires to straighten your teeth. The Invisalign treatment uses a series of molds that you will change every few months. Each new tray will force your teeth into a new position until they are completely straightened.
What Are Invisalign Clear Aligners Made Of?
Invisalign clear aligners are made from plastic that is free from BPA. And they are much more comfortable than traditional metal braces.
How Do Invisalign Clear Dental Aligners Work?
Invisalign dental aligners in Portland, OR are designed to straighten your teeth. Your dentist will begin by taking x-rays and a 3D model of your teeth. The x-rays and the 3D model will then be sent to an Invisalign laboratory where they will custom craft aligners designed to straighten your specific teeth over time.
The Benefits of Invisalign Over Traditional Braces
If you need braces, at some point, you will have to decide whether you want traditional metal braces or clear dental aligners.
Here are the benefits of opting for Invisalign over traditional braces.
- Cosmetically more appealing because they are clear.
- Invisalign dental aligners are more comfortable than traditional metal braces because they won’t irritate your teeth, lips, and gums.
- Aligners make it easier to brush and floss your teeth because they can be removed.
- With clear aligners, you can remove your aligners so you can eat and drink whatever you want without restrictions.
- Invisalign dental aligners don’t require as many trips to the dentist as traditional braces do.
- The treatment time for Invisalign aligners is often shorter than the treatment time for traditional braces.
How Long Do Invisalign Dental Aligners Take to Work?
On average, Invisalign dental aligners in Portland, OR take about a year to straighten your teeth. However, the treatment time will vary from person to person. After your dentist looks at the digital images of your teeth, they will then be able to give you an estimated timeframe for your Invisalign treatment.